It seems as if it gets hotter and hotter with each passing summer and Texas homeowners are relying on air conditioners more than ever. During the hottest months of the year, the electricity bill can really run up but fortunately for us, there are a few smart, energy-saving tips we can incorporate to alleviate that cost.
- A/C Tune Up – one of the most beneficial services you can get for your air conditioner are regular tune ups. Even if it seems like your system is “working”, there may be internal issues that can lead to an air conditioner break down. Make sure to schedule your air conditioner tune up to ensure your system is running at optimal efficiency. You can lower the cost of your electricity bill AND prevent future costly repairs with regularly planned maintenance.
- Replacing Your Air Filters – we cannot stress enough how important it is to regularly replace your dirty air filters. Neglecting a dirty filter can restrict air flow, making your system work harder than it has to and increasing your energy bills. Not only can it increase your utility cost but it can even wear out your system faster. Air filters are inexpensive and easy to replace and you can always contact Colley if you’re unsure of what kind of filter to purchase and how often you should be replacing them.
- Keeping Your Vents Clear – closing and blocking your vents can actually limit your air conditioner’s efficiency. Do a quick check around your home to make sure no furniture or external items are blocking your supply air vents and return air vents.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat – a smart thermostat makes it easy to adjust your thermostat settings regardless of where you are. From just a touch on your phone, you can warm up the home a couple of degrees while you’re away to save money on your bills. Smart thermostats can even learn your habits and adjust automatically or you can choose to set certain temperatures at certain times.
- Block Out Sunlight – although it may be tempting to allow the natural light in, allowing additional sunlight to enter your home means that you’re also allowing the heat to come with it. The added sunlight and heat in your home will make your air conditioner work harder just to cool your home down again. You can avoid unnecessarily higher bills by just keeping your blinds shut.
These are just a few of our highly recommended tips for conserving air conditioning energy for your home. If you are looking for additional upgrades to your home’s air conditioning system to save even more money, you can contact us at Colley (979) 265-4711! We’re your full service air conditioning and heating company based in Clute servicing the Brazoria County, Houston and surrounding areas.
Air conditioning systems are an investment but choosing the installer is JUST as important as the equipment. When looking to hire an HVAC expert, make sure to incorporate our tips to ensure you minimize any unwanted situations
- Verify their credibility!
- Check their papers – check for the air conditioning company’s licensing, workman’s compensation, and liability insurance. Be suspicious of any company’s unwillingness to provide papers that will validate their authenticity.
- Do an online search – check for the company on Angie’s List or other sources of authority. Angie’s List has a Contractor License Check Tool available for anytime use.
- Reviews & references – although online reviews are a good source of credibility, it may be worth obtaining their list of references and contacting real customers about their experiences.
- Receive a second opinion – trust your instincts and don’t be pressured by a contractor to make a big decision immediately. Any reputable company would have no problem with you taking the time to receive a second opinion to confirm their diagnosis and recommended solutions.
These are just a few tips from us on how you can be more cautious in the process of researching and hiring an HVAC contractor. One of the most recommended methods of protecting yourself is to build a long-term relationship with your contractor. Although all HVAC companies should be providing optimal services regardless of whether it’s a new or existing customer, reputable HVAC service providers will give their existing customers the added attention and detail to retain your business.
Don’t get pressured into immediate decisions and upgrades, and don’t be afraid to ask questions! Receive a professional opinion from our certified and licensed air conditioning experts at Colley today (979) 265-4711!
Having AC during the summer is absolutely crucial for the Houston and Brazoria County areas. The last thing you need is for your system to unexpectedly break down. So what can you do as a homeowner to ensure your system will be performing optimally? Read our steps below:
- REGULARLY check and replace your air filters when dirty! This is the number one step all homeowners must have in mind and especially during the June-September months. If you leave a dirty air filter in your system, it will cause your system to work harder to cool the air and waste more of your energy and money.
- Review all the registers in your home to make sure they’re opened and not blocked by any items or furniture. Registers are designed to evenly cool the room so make sure no external factors are restricting their airflow. If some of your rooms are warmer or cooler than others, ask us about air balancing and zoning options to even the temperatures throughout your home.
- If possible, inspect your unit’s drip pan and condensate drain lines. Clogs found here can suggest mold and algae buildup and neglecting this issue can eventually lead to system malfunctions.
Overall, the best thing you can do to ensure your system is ready for the hot summer is to get your maintenance or inspection today. Not only will this elongate the life of your system, but it’ll minimize unexpected failures and expensive repairs in the future. You can even save money on bills knowing that your system is performing efficiently! Call Colley for your Houston and Brazoria County AC services today (979) 265-4711!
When investing in a new air conditioner, you may be looking at factors such as the efficiency or SEER rating of the equipment. In reality, one of the most significant factors that play into your new AC is well… the actual installation! Learn why a quality install matters.
Although choosing the right equipment for your home is important, making sure that your equipment is properly installed will make a vast difference in your system’s performance and life.
One of the most common reasons homeowners even consider purchasing new equipment is the hope that their new system will be more energy efficient. Having more energy efficient systems will ideally result in lower energy bills. Although this is true, having an improperly installed unit can decrease its operating efficiency as much as 30% according to Energy Star. That’s 30% of energy and money being wasted due to poor install.
Having performance issues will add stress to your system causing it to wear down faster. If you have properly installed equipment, not only will your system be optimally performing but you can elongate the life of your system as well. Ensuring that your system will last longer will give you more bang for your buck and allow your system to serve you for the expected time period or longer.
Essentially, you would want your new install to be done right the first time. This will allow for optimal performance, lower bills, extending your system’s life, and minimizing future repairs. Protect your investment by choosing a quality installer. Colley is located in Clute, TX servicing the Brazoria County, Houston and surrounding areas. Call us today (979) 265-4711!
Centralized heating and air systems has become widely popular with almost every home and business having one installed in the nation. Although the popular continues to rise, many home and business owners fail to prioritize HVAC maintenance. Routine and preventive HVAC maintenance is one of the most important and beneficial services you can do for your system and your home. Below we detail some of the large paybacks:
- Healthy and clean air – not only will HVAC maintenance properly cool and warm your home, but it will make for healthy and clean air quality. Dirty coils and filters is a foundation for mold, dirt, and bacteria to grow and collect, which may result in worse air quality issues.
- Lower energy bills – having a properly maintenanced system will result in a smoother operation. When you skip out on maintenancing your equipment, it will work harder just to cool or heat your home, resulting in higher bills.
- Extending your system’s life – with tender, love, care, and maintenance, you can extend the life of your system for years! Maintenance your system and you can avoid having to deal with costly repairs and the costly investment of installing a new system.
These are just some of the main bullet points of why you should always participate in maintaining your unit. Along with clean air, lower bills, and elongating your system’s life, you can also prevent expensive repairs in the future as well as many other benefits. If you’re in need of maintenance services, check out our Energy Savings Agreement and call us today at (979) 265-4711!