What’s the catch? Some companies will advertise a free furnace but then upcharge for everything – even the glue to put your grilles back on
You may have seen the ads, “Free Furnace with a Qualifying AC system”. It may sound tempting,: who doesn’t want something for free? But don’t fall for it. A/C systems are sold as a package complete matched system and that includes the outdoor unit called a condenser and the indoor units called the furnace and evaporator coil or air handler. Sure you could just buy the condenser. We have seen people buy the condenser only and attempt to pair it with, but pairing it with existing older indoor equipment indoors will reduce the efficiency and effectiveness only to discover they are incompatible and cannot function together. And once installed, HVAC system components can no longer be returned.
The components that make up an HVAC system (indoor and outdoor) must be matched for size, and efficiency, and refrigerant compatibility. Only certain components can go together to create the efficiency you’ll needa functional system for your home. And no reputable HVAC company is going to give away equipment if they intend to be in business long term. They will build the cost of the furnace into the condenser to cover the cost of it being “free” while adding upcharges for every conceivable thing. These silly ads are just a way to get you to call – an advertising tactic. Don’t take the bait – you’re smarter than that, so when you are looking for a system replacement or repair, call a reputable company with a long history of serving the community – like Colley’s Refrigeration. We offer upfront pricing and caring professionals that will exceed your expectations. Give us a call today 979-265-4711
There’s no greater peace of mind than knowing your home is in good condition while you’re away for Spring Break. Colley has created a simple checklist you can use to maintain your home and reduce possible headaches upon your return!
Adjust Your Thermostat – In most cases, the largest portion of your energy bill is generated by your AC system. Now that you won’t be at home, you can adjust the temperature to a more appropriate, energy efficient setting. Don’t forget to find the perfect balance between energy savings and your pets and plants’ comfort if they are remaining indoors. And if you have a smart thermostat, make sure to adjust the thermostat settings a couple of hours before arrival so you can return to the desired temperature.
Replace Your Air Filter – Although often neglected, air filters play an essential role in the operation of your air system. By simply replacing your air filter, you can improve your air quality, reduce your energy bills, and add years to your system’s life.
Schedule a Maintenance Check / Tune-Up – Not only do you want to make sure you’re not coming home to any unwanted emergencies, you want to make sure your system will perform properly for the entire vacation season and beyond. Schedule your maintenance or tune-up with Colley Refrigeration today. We’ll make sure to inspect your system thoroughly, properly diagnose all current and possible future issues, and provide solutions best suited to your needs.
Clean – Cleaning before you leave for Spring Break sounds like common sense, but oftentimes we forget to at least get rid of perishable food items and take out the trash! These simple tasks can improve your experience upon returning home more than you think.
If you have any questions on your home comfort options, Colley Refrigeration is just one call away to answer to any of your Brazosport, Clute, and surrounding areas AC needs – (979) 265-4711!
It may not be hot enough to run your air conditioner right now, but it is a great time to cash in on a Ruud rebate and special financing incentives for replacing your heating and cooling system before the heat of the summer returns. We can help you choose the right system for your home and right now, we’re offering a cash back rebate and special financing to boot!
Living in our warm and humid climate requires an HVAC system that can keep up and you can trust the Ruud brand, known around the world as well as in Texas for upholding a reputation for reliable, efficient and quiet air conditioning and heating equipment.
We have a variety of financing options to help you get the Ruud home comfort system you need with a payment plan that fits your budget, including a 0% for 60 months option with approved credit on a qualifying system if you finance before May 31st!
When you invest in a Ruud HVAC air conditioning system, you’re giving yourself peace of mind for years to come. Call us today at 979-265-4711 and we can get started on a quote.
1979 – 2019
For 40 years, our family has been meeting the heating and cooling needs of our community. What started as a small family-owned business is now a full-service family operation with two generations of HVAC knowledge to serve you. A lot has changed over the past 40 years, but what has not changed is our commitment to serving you, our customer. This customer focus is why we can’t celebrate our 40th anniversary without saying Thank You for your support of our business.
Colley Refrigeration has excelled as a Ruud Pro Partner contractor. We have consistently been recognized by the RUUD brand as a National Top Pro Partner and Top Contractor for several years and was awarded RUUD’s National Top Award winner in 2015 and 2016. You can count on us to provide excellent service when you need us in the years to come.
You can trust family owned Colley Refrigeration with all of your heating and cooling needs. Call and schedule your appointment today at (979) 265-4711!
Winter is here and so are Colley’s free tips on how to save energy and money while maintaining your comfort.
• If you’re at home during the day, take advantage of the natural heat from the sunlight. Open your south facing curtains to allow the beautiful sunlight to warm up your home. Be sure to close your curtains when the sun goes down or when no one is home to reap the warmth.
• Adjust your thermostat as low high as possible you prefer for your personal comfort but dial it back a couple of degrees when you are asleep or not at home over an 8 hour period. You can save up to 10% on your electricity bill by implementing this tip. For ultimate convenience and savings, invest in a smart thermostat that’ll allow you to program your temperature settings to your schedule or control your system when you’re not at home.
• Take some time to detect your air leaks and seal them accordingly. Gaps and unfinished spaces oftentimes allow air to escape and eventually increases your energy bills. You can also caulk or weather-strip your leaky doors and windows for even more savings.
• Take care of those drafty windows. By sealing heavy-duty plastic on a frame or taping clear plastic film to the inside of your window, you can help reduce infiltration and improve energy efficiency.
These are just some things you can do at home to improve energy efficiency, but you can also conduct an energy audit to find where you can save the most. This will help you make larger investments for long-term energy savings. Making sure your system gets regular maintenance also will be able to save you money in the long run, making sure your system is working at its prime and avoiding unnecessary repairs. For a limited time only, Colley is offering a free maintenance contract for a YEAR (a $170 value). Don’t spend more than you need this Winter and call Colley today (979) 265-4711!
Temperatures are lowering in Texas, meaning it could be the first time you’re turning on your heater this year. Turning on a heater after a couple of months of inactivity could expel a nasty, musty, and even burning smell. Not only is the scent unpleasant but it could be quite irritating and uncomfortable to those with allergies and other health problems.
Over time, it’s normal for dirt, dust, and debris to accumulate on your vents, registers, and equipment. When your system is turned on after being dormant for some time, these materials burn up and cause that burning smell. Although that initial burning smell is common, it doesn’t mean it should be ignored.
Here’s what you could be doing:
- Replacing your air filter – Accumulated dirt and debris on your air filter may cause a burning smell once heat passes through. Simply replacing your clogged filter with a fresh one can prevent the smell from occurring.
- Checking your system for foreign items nearby – Inspect your heater for external items such as fabrics or plastics. Make sure your system is clear of any external objects that have the potential of being burned or damaged by your heater. If any plastic or rubber is burning due to your heater, make sure to turn off your heater immediately and remove the object. These fumes can be hazardous and could even indicate a more serious problem such as an electrical failure. If you are unable to locate and remove the source, make sure you call us today so we can properly resolve your issue and get your system up and running again!
If you’ve tried our trouble-shooting tips and the initial burning dust smell doesn’t pass, it could indicate a more serious issue. Whether you need us on-site or need our professional advice, call Colley at (979) 265-4711 for any of your HVAC needs!
Taking care of your air conditioning needs at home is a simple, easy, and cost efficient way to resolve minor issues. It’s important to educate yourself on what the average homeowner is able to accomplish but also know when it’s time to call your local professional for help. Below are some critical DO’s and DON’T’s when it comes to what you can do-it-yourself!
DO – Change Your Air Filter
Your air filter is essential to your air conditioning system’s ability to function at its utmost efficiency. When you neglect replacing your dirty filters, it can restrict your system’s airflow and therefore increase your energy consumption. Regularly replacing your air filters is a basic step that all homeowners can take advantage of doing to keep their energy bills low and elongate the life of their system.
DO – Replace Your Thermostat Batteries
Your thermostat is considered the control center of your entire HVAC system. Make sure to regularly monitor your thermostat to make sure it’s configured to your ideal settings and that it is functioning properly. If the “low battery” indicator on your thermostat comes on, you can replace the batteries at home without having to contact your local professional.
DO – Get Proper AC Maintenance
Make sure to get your system regularly maintained to ensure longevity and optimal performance. Scheduled maintenance will detect and resolve issues before they stem into bigger and more expensive headaches. Get with your trusted HVAC contractor to evaluate your system’s needs to come up with a regular maintenance schedule that’s right for you.
DON’T – Attempt to tamper with electrical lines, wiring, and connections
DON’T – Attempt to replace your capacitor
DON’T – Attempt to install your thermostat without being familiar with its wiring
Your AC system includes various hazards such as federally regulated refrigerant, high electrical voltage, and chemicals that could cause permanent injury. Plus doing a DIY repair could void your manufacturer’s warranty terms and potentially nullify your insurance company’s liability. Do not compromise your safety and the safety of those in your household for a DIY project – make sure you contact your qualified professionals at Colley Refrigeration at 979-265-4711.
It seems as if it gets hotter and hotter with each passing summer and Texas homeowners are relying on air conditioners more than ever. During the hottest months of the year, the electricity bill can really run up but fortunately for us, there are a few smart, energy-saving tips we can incorporate to alleviate that cost.
- A/C Tune Up – one of the most beneficial services you can get for your air conditioner are regular tune ups. Even if it seems like your system is “working”, there may be internal issues that can lead to an air conditioner break down. Make sure to schedule your air conditioner tune up to ensure your system is running at optimal efficiency. You can lower the cost of your electricity bill AND prevent future costly repairs with regularly planned maintenance.
- Replacing Your Air Filters – we cannot stress enough how important it is to regularly replace your dirty air filters. Neglecting a dirty filter can restrict air flow, making your system work harder than it has to and increasing your energy bills. Not only can it increase your utility cost but it can even wear out your system faster. Air filters are inexpensive and easy to replace and you can always contact Colley if you’re unsure of what kind of filter to purchase and how often you should be replacing them.
- Keeping Your Vents Clear – closing and blocking your vents can actually limit your air conditioner’s efficiency. Do a quick check around your home to make sure no furniture or external items are blocking your supply air vents and return air vents.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat – a smart thermostat makes it easy to adjust your thermostat settings regardless of where you are. From just a touch on your phone, you can warm up the home a couple of degrees while you’re away to save money on your bills. Smart thermostats can even learn your habits and adjust automatically or you can choose to set certain temperatures at certain times.
- Block Out Sunlight – although it may be tempting to allow the natural light in, allowing additional sunlight to enter your home means that you’re also allowing the heat to come with it. The added sunlight and heat in your home will make your air conditioner work harder just to cool your home down again. You can avoid unnecessarily higher bills by just keeping your blinds shut.
These are just a few of our highly recommended tips for conserving air conditioning energy for your home. If you are looking for additional upgrades to your home’s air conditioning system to save even more money, you can contact us at Colley (979) 265-4711! We’re your full service air conditioning and heating company based in Clute servicing the Brazoria County, Houston and surrounding areas.
Air conditioning systems are an investment but choosing the installer is JUST as important as the equipment. When looking to hire an HVAC expert, make sure to incorporate our tips to ensure you minimize any unwanted situations
- Verify their credibility!
- Check their papers – check for the air conditioning company’s licensing, workman’s compensation, and liability insurance. Be suspicious of any company’s unwillingness to provide papers that will validate their authenticity.
- Do an online search – check for the company on Angie’s List or other sources of authority. Angie’s List has a Contractor License Check Tool available for anytime use.
- Reviews & references – although online reviews are a good source of credibility, it may be worth obtaining their list of references and contacting real customers about their experiences.
- Receive a second opinion – trust your instincts and don’t be pressured by a contractor to make a big decision immediately. Any reputable company would have no problem with you taking the time to receive a second opinion to confirm their diagnosis and recommended solutions.
These are just a few tips from us on how you can be more cautious in the process of researching and hiring an HVAC contractor. One of the most recommended methods of protecting yourself is to build a long-term relationship with your contractor. Although all HVAC companies should be providing optimal services regardless of whether it’s a new or existing customer, reputable HVAC service providers will give their existing customers the added attention and detail to retain your business.
Don’t get pressured into immediate decisions and upgrades, and don’t be afraid to ask questions! Receive a professional opinion from our certified and licensed air conditioning experts at Colley today (979) 265-4711!
Having AC during the summer is absolutely crucial for the Houston and Brazoria County areas. The last thing you need is for your system to unexpectedly break down. So what can you do as a homeowner to ensure your system will be performing optimally? Read our steps below:
- REGULARLY check and replace your air filters when dirty! This is the number one step all homeowners must have in mind and especially during the June-September months. If you leave a dirty air filter in your system, it will cause your system to work harder to cool the air and waste more of your energy and money.
- Review all the registers in your home to make sure they’re opened and not blocked by any items or furniture. Registers are designed to evenly cool the room so make sure no external factors are restricting their airflow. If some of your rooms are warmer or cooler than others, ask us about air balancing and zoning options to even the temperatures throughout your home.
- If possible, inspect your unit’s drip pan and condensate drain lines. Clogs found here can suggest mold and algae buildup and neglecting this issue can eventually lead to system malfunctions.
Overall, the best thing you can do to ensure your system is ready for the hot summer is to get your maintenance or inspection today. Not only will this elongate the life of your system, but it’ll minimize unexpected failures and expensive repairs in the future. You can even save money on bills knowing that your system is performing efficiently! Call Colley for your Houston and Brazoria County AC services today (979) 265-4711!